Rep. Zoe Lofgren Reacts to Supreme Court Decision on Healthcare Reform
Washington, DC – Today Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), released the following statement in response to the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on the Affordable Care Act:
"Today's ruling is a victory for the millions of Americans who are the true beneficiaries of the Affordable Care Act's expanded, affordable coverage that can't be denied because of pre-existing conditions. I was proud to vote for this bill when it passed the House of Representatives in March 2010. Because of this law more than 440,000 children, adults and seniors of the16th congressional district have been shielded from excessive rate increases, health coverage rescissions, and lifetime coverage limits.
"Healthcare reform is already working to bring relief to our community. It is already expanding coverage for children and young adults, allowing businesses to expand coverage through tax credits, and helping Santa Clara County seniors afford the prescriptions they need."
Because of the Affordable Care Act, in the 16th Congressional District:
- 6,400 young adults in the district now have health insurance.
- 3,900 seniors in the district received prescription drug discounts worth $2 million, an average discount of $520 per senior.
- 46,000 seniors in the district received Medicare preventive services without paying any co-pays, coinsurance, or deductibles.
- 33,000 children and 120,000 adults now have health insurance that covers preventive services without paying any co-pays, coinsurance, or deductibles.
- 500 small businesses in the district received tax credits to help maintain or expand health care coverage for their employees.
- $4.8 million in public health grants have been given to community health centers, hospitals, doctors, and other healthcare providers in the district to improve the community's health.
- 9,000 to 41,000 children with preexisting health conditions can no longer be denied coverage by health insurers.
- Consumer protection provisions have helped protect 170,000 district residents from the worst abuses of health insurers like excessive rate increases.
- Reform has eliminated the threat of health coverage rescissions for more than 440,000 residents.
- Reform has banned insurance companies from establishing lifetime coverage limits for 240,000 residents.