19th Congressional District of California
San José and Santa Clara County
A lifelong Bay Area resident, Zoe is proud to represent the 19th Congressional District, which encompasses the City of San José and parts of Santa Clara County stretching towards Morgan Hill and Gilroy to the south.
One of the most notable features of Santa Clara County is its beautiful scenery and weather. The region is known for its pleasant weather and is filled with lakes, ponds, rivers and creeks. The valley is surrounded by mountains and hillsides, and is home to an extensive system of parks, recreational areas and playgrounds. As the heart of “Silicon Valley,” the county is currently home to thousands of high technology companies which employ a large number of residents to make it the most populous county in the Bay Area.
San José, the county seat and Capital of Silicon Valley, is located at the southern end of the San Francisco Bay and is considered to be the heart of American innovation as the high tech center of the world. In addition, the city’s active art society is visible throughout the area, from the historic San José Museum of Art to the public art pieces of local artists. With a population of more than one million residents, San José ranks as the 10th largest city in the nation and the 3rd largest in California following Los Angeles and San Diego. San José is conveniently located just twenty-eight miles east of the Pacific Ocean and forty-two miles south of San Francisco.
Founded in 1850, Santa Clara County was one of the original counties of California at the time of statehood. San José was California’s very first civilian settlement and became the first state capital in 1850. A region that was once covered with orchards, Santa Clara County was known as the “Valley of Heart’s Delight.” For many years, San Jose has been viewed as a focal point for immigration issues. It is home to Northern California’s largest Mexican-American community.
Local agriculture was brought into the national spotlight with the help of San José resident, Cesar Chavez, the founder of the National Farm Workers Union. Adopting the non-violent practices of Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi, Chavez championed a movement that changed the rights of farmers throughout the nation and is both a celebrated local and national hero.
With much to offer, San José and Santa Clara County have attracted a very diverse community rich in culture. The 19th Congressional District has the distinction of having the largest Hispanic population of any district in the Bay Area, and the City of San Jose is home to the largest concentration of Vietnamese-Americans in the country.
For more information on visiting San José, please visit the City of San José Convention and Visitor Bureau’s website www.sanjose.org
Some notable facts and items about San José:
- San José is ranked in the top 10 safest big cities in the nation and is 2nd in median household income.
- Home to the Tech Museum, the Children’s Discovery Museum, the Japanese American Museum of San Jose, and the Museum of the Boat People & the Republic of Vietnam.
- Enjoys a vast network of public transportation infrastructure with VTA Light Rail System, Caltrain, and BART, connecting South Bay residents to surrounding neighborhoods and cities.
- Served by the modern Norman Y. Mineta International Airport.
- Hosts conventions, conferences and events at the McEnery Convention Center.
- Site of the Martin Luther King Jr. Library, the largest library west of the Mississippi
- Site of McDonnell Hall, historic home for the Community Service Organization (CSO) where César Chávez worked as a community organizer, civil rights leader, and labor rights leader between 1952 and 1962.
- Home to the SAP Center and the San José Sharks (National Hockey League)
- San José Earthquakes (Major League Soccer)
- San José Giants (Minor League Baseball)
- California Volunteers
- The State of California
- Office of the Governor of California
- California State Legislative
- City of San José
- San José Public Library
- Santa Clara County
- Santa Clara Transportation Authority (VTA)
- City of Morgan Hill
- City of Gilroy
If you are interested in browsing district-specific population statistics, you can look up Census data for the 19th District.